The building of the Vinohrady Theatre is situated a few steps from the Church of St Ludmila in Peace Square. It was built in the Vinohrady district, which was a separate district at the time, with the purpose of confirming the district’s growing wealth and prestige. It was designed by architect Alois Čenský and built by Jan Majer and Josef Veselý. The theatre was ceremonially opened on 24 November, 1907. With a capacity of 1,200 seats, the theatre auditorium was very large for its time. Initially, opera and operetta performances were held there; at present, the theatre offers drama performances. The Vinohrady Theatre is considered one of the main drama stages in Prague.
Useful information for visitors
Public transport connections
Opening hours and admission
The building of the Vinohrady Theatre is open to the public during theatre performances. For up-to-date information about programme and admission fees, visit the official website.
In the Czech Republic, a visit to a theatre is perceived as a special occasion that requires visitors to follow a certain dress code and avoid informal clothing. The ideal choice is a dark suit for gentlemen and a cocktail dress or a medium-length skirt with an elegant top for ladies.
Interesting facts about Vinohrady Theatre
The front façade of the Vinohrady Theatre is decorated with statues of allegorical figures that are mounted on the pylons – an angel with a raised sword representing Bravery and an angel with a mirror representing Truth. The statues were created by Milan Havlíček. Each statue is seven metres high and weighs about 36 tons, which makes them one of the biggest statues installed on a building in the Czech Republic.